Apple wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guitarman703

Reaction score
Probably a dumb question but I have been using table sugar for my apple wine and I was curious how my recipe would change switching to brown sugar or half brown and half table. Also what kind if flavor changes should I expect and does brown sugar ferment the same as table sugar? My table sugar recipe taste good just looking to make minor tweaks that's for the info.

Probably a dumb question but I have been using table sugar for my apple wine and I was curious how my recipe would change switching to brown sugar or half brown and half table. Also what kind if flavor changes should I expect and does brown sugar ferment the same as table sugar? My table sugar recipe taste good just looking to make minor tweaks that's for the info.

I don't like the taste of fermented brown sugar- it has a molasses flavor and when the sugar ferments out it tastes like molasses without sweetness. I hate it, but I know many others like it.

I am actually about 4 months into conditioning 2 separate 5gal batches of apfelwine. I used Montrachet yeast in both. The first I used BJ's wholesale apple juice with cane sugar (table sugar). The next I used Motts and Corn sugar (dextrose). I have tasted both and I can tell you this, the cane sugar dried out the taste a lot more than the dextrose. The cane sure tastes more like a white wine while the dextrose tastes more like crisp apple. My recommendation would be to go with dextrose.

I thought about going half brown and half table for the first attempt. I appreciate your thoughts I like molasses might not be a bad thing for me.

Yooper does it ferment the same as table and teals the same alcohol volume as the table would? Thanks

Try adding a pound or two of raisins. Increases body, and you get a slightly diff flavor from the fruit sugars. From what I have been told, stick with table sugar because it closely resembles the sugars found in grapes. And yooper is right, once the sugar ferments out of brown sugar, you are left with a molasses after taste.

Back