Apple Wine With Safale S-04

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubbalu

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
First time making anything with Safale S-04. I was just wondering what I should expect. In the past, the ciders I have made have been more or less Edwort's recipe, using Red Star Montrachet.

I have a pack of Safale S-04 kicking around, so I figured why not.

I plan on more or less doing Edwort's recipie, with 2# Dextrose and 5gal apple juice.

I was wondering what I should expect as far as final sg and krausen are concerned. I have no problem using a blow off so I can top off the carboy, I would just like to know if I really need one.

-Thanks, Bubba

EDIT: Also wondering if I can pitch directly out of the packet as one would do with Montrachet. I have been reading around and have found conflicting views. Normally with dry yeast a started is not needed, but some reviews of S-04 say you need one.

S-04 is my favorite yeast for doing apple cider, though I don't usually add additional sugar, so its more of a "draft-style" cider rather than an apple wine. I don't see why it wouldn't work well with EdWort's recipe.

You will get a huge krausen, so you either need a lot of headspace or blow-off. You don't need a starter but I would recommend rehydrating (though that is also not 100% necessary either, its just so easy that there's little reason not to).

For the rehydration, what temperature water should I use?

Also, how long does the krausen usually last before it settles?

-Thanks, bubba

room temp or lukewarm(50f-80f). Best to boil a kettle if using tapwater, this kills any nasties and off-gasses chlorine and most of the chloramine

Just threw it all together. 5gal apple juice, about 1.5lb dextrose, safale s-04 pitched right in dry, carboy filled to the top with a blowoff setup.

Starting SG- 1.051

Ill let yall know how it turns out.

Just started a 5gal batch with safale so4 last week. You will def need a blow off. The krausen will peak at about 24hours and last a day or two before switching back to an airlock. Should be worth it though as Everyone says this is the best cider yeast. And on a side note I used a starter. Worked fine.

I was also wondering what I should be expecting for final sg.

I have never used Safale S-04 before so I don't really know what to shoot for.

-Thanks, bubba

I used S-04 with my cider (with added sugar). Just checked today at 2 weeks and it is 1.010
I'm going to let it go a little longer, then siphon into a secondary for a while.

Yeah it starts off fast but slows down a lot at the end. It takes 3-4 weeks to completely finish for me.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Back