Apple Wine Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vollzie

Reaction score
I have a 5.5 gallon batch of apple wine made from fresh cider.
5+ gallons of cider
1 cup strong green tea
Juice of 3 lemons
3 lbs corn sugar
4 lbs granulated sugar
1/2 tspn wine tannin
Acid blend
Peptic enzyme
Yeast nutrient
5 Camden tablets crushed
1 pack Montrachet yeast

OG was 1.094
Has been fermenting nicely since 11-10-13. When it reached 1.022 I racked to secondary with 1/4 tsp sulfites. On 12-8-13 it read 0.999 and today it is still throwing small bubbles at top of Carboy.

Can it go much longer? I make a lot of red wine and have learned to let these finish.

Should I let it sit? Will post gravity reading shortly. Also did notice it is a little clearer than previously a week ago.

This has fermented nicely since

Yes, it should finish at .990 or thereabouts when it's done.

I just racked 6 gallons apple wine myself today. It's not done, but it's slowing down so I put it in a carboy. They almost always go to .990.

Ok Yooper,
It is now reading .990. Very dry but I believe will be good.

It still has the small bubbles coming up to top of Carboy. Will these stop soon?

Should I rack and if so, any additives? I was trying to stay away from pot sorb but can still use if needed.

Also, when should I back sweeten or flavor this to my liking?

Ok Yooper,
It is now reading .990. Very dry but I believe will be good.

It still has the small bubbles coming up to top of Carboy. Will these stop soon?

Should I rack and if so, any additives? I was trying to stay away from pot sorb but can still use if needed.

Also, when should I back sweeten or flavor this to my liking?

Rack whenever you have lees 1/4" thick or so, or any lees at all after 60 days. Make sure you keep the wine topped up to within just a couple of inches of the bung.

Once it's totally clear, and no longer dropping any lees at all after at least 60 days, then it can be stabilized with campden and potassium sorbate. You only need sorbate if you're sweetening the wine- I don't sweeten mine so I don't use it.

I do use campden tablets in the amount of 1 crushed per gallon at every other racking to help prevent oxidation. Sulfites are used as an antioxidant by winemakers.

Back