Apple Wine/Cider w/Brewers Best Cider House

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opXus

Reaction score
Question for you experts out there, this is my first wine/cider. I have done 15-20 beers or so.

Started with fresh apple cider and added 5 lbs of sugar. Added campden tabs, waited 24 hrs, then added Brewers Best Cider House Yeast.

My question is this.... it has been about 48 hrs after adding yeast, are the cider yeasts just slower moving than a lot of the ale yeasts? I was nervous about blowing the lid off the fermentor with the amount of liquid i have in there, however it seems like the airlock is just bubbling away nice and slow.

Is that just a property of this style of yeast?

Thanks,

opXus

I've never done beers, but I can affirm that cider brews nice and easy usually without any big blowouts, and without much fuss. How long it takes depends on sugars and yeast. A champagne yeast can devour all that sugar quicker than you'd believe.

Oh yeah. You said the amount of sugar, but not the amount of cider. 5 gal? 3 gal?

I've never done beers, but I can affirm that cider brews nice and easy usually without any big blowouts, and without much fuss. How long it takes depends on sugars and yeast. A champagne yeast can devour all that sugar quicker than you'd believe.

Oh yeah. You said the amount of sugar, but not the amount of cider. 5 gal? 3 gal?

Starting with 6g cider, 5 lbs sugar, campden for 24 hrs before adding 1 packet of the Brewers Best Cider House Yeast. It has been picking up slowly. I would say the airlock bubbles about once every 2 seconds. So I know that there is fermentation going on, but like I said it just seems like its fermenting a bit slower.

I have never done wine or cider before. Just seemed like with that much sugar it would be fermenting much quicker. Definitely not upset with this pace though. Especially since it will be racked then bulk aged for quite some time anyway. haha.

Starting with 6g cider, 5 lbs sugar, campden for 24 hrs before adding 1 packet of the Brewers Best Cider House Yeast. It has been picking up slowly. I would say the airlock bubbles about once every 2 seconds. So I know that there is fermentation going on, but like I said it just seems like its fermenting a bit slower.

I have never done wine or cider before. Just seemed like with that much sugar it would be fermenting much quicker. Definitely not upset with this pace though. Especially since it will be racked then bulk aged for quite some time anyway. haha.

You can toss in some nutrient to help ease it along. I also never use campden tablets, so maybe there's something residual? IDK, but maybe someone else can answer to that. (most cider is fine as is, provided it's preservative free. they typically UV pasteurize it , unless you're pressing the apples yourself, which I doubt.)

Also, I usually start with Pasteur Champagne Yeast, so using a cider yeast, especially with all that sugar... It may not be designed to handle that much, especially not immediately. Most ciders are around 6% abv, which would put it close to beer, but with all that added sugar, you're going to be reaching higher. I have no experience with that yeast, but it may just be a bit of a slower one.

I'm not saying that you'll kill your yeast or that it'll get stuck or anything, but just that it's working, but it's probably trudging along slowly for a few different reasons related to the sugar and what other additives are there or not.

Best thing to do is forget it for a week, come back, and check its progress. Maybe rack it off the lees if it looks like it needs it, give a taste to see how far it may have come thus far, and until then, again, just leave it.

I've got a batch that I've been step adding to for about a month now. I think it's still got maybe a week or two to finish where I want and be ready to bottle, carb, and pasteurize. I find that's a little fast even.

My first back of cider, which was straight up cider, no sugars, and with a cider yeast (which was kind of also an ale yeast), took about 6 weeks, and was racked every week. Your mileage may vary, but again, if you got fermentation, don't panic.

EDIT: here's a thread started by someone using the same yeast as you.

Just straight cider, it took them three weeks to go from brew to bottle. The yeast, the suggest, might also work from the bottom, meaning you won't see much action.

Previously, using a cider yeast or an English ale yeast(Muntons) I've never needed a blowoff tube. But this year I had a slurry of WY1007 German ale yeast and pitched that. She needed a blowoff bigtime and surprisingly(to me) took a good two weeks to finish, whereas previously visible fermentation has been finished in about 1 week.
So moral of the story, the yeast do whatever they want. We(hopefully) provide a good environment, and stand back to watch.
I do however, add yeast nutrient, and might add 1-2 lb of honey for a 5G batch, but not sucrose.

I'm using that yeast now and did last yeast. I really like it.
I first used wine or champagne yeast and it was fast and foamy.

Then I used English Ale yeast. It was much better. Slower and less foamy. Great flavor!

The Brewers best is even slower and little or no foam. But it still finished in z week or two.

I've noticed if my stopper or lid leaks I'll see no airlock activity.

Nice labels!!!

I added some nutrient after 3 days, and the fermentation picked up a bit.

I'm guessing this is just a slow starting yeast. Glad its low krausen! Not too much room left in my fermenter, only about .5 gallon worth of space.

Seems to be a bit faster now, but definitely slower than beer I have made that ended up around 10% ABV.

Thanks for the replies.

Back