Apple Wine - 3 Gallons Started in a 6 Gallon Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calmingapple

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Hope you all had a very Merry Christmas! :)

So I have made several successful apple wines in small one gallon carboys but at present I have one package of wine yeast and 3 gallons of apple juice. I don't have a fermenting pail that is in acceptable condition right now.

So I was wondering if I could take 3 gallons of apple juice, pour it into a 6 gallon glass carboy JUST for the 1st stage (allowing access to air) and after a week is up and the SG is at the right number, I can transfer it into 3 ONE GALLON glass carboys this way?

This is simply to ensure that one packet of wine yeast gets underway nicely but then I want to divide the wine up into the 3 ONE GALLON glass carboys (fitted with bungs) and age them this way.

I presume this is all well and dandy - just wanted to get general opinions and any tips ahead of time.

Last edited:
You can always go to any paint supply store, hardware store, Loews or Home Depot and pick up a food grade bucket and lid for under $10,
Buckets are always good to have.

While you can do as you planned, I have had an occasion where splitting up 3 gallons into single gallon (secondary) caused one of the fermentation to stall, since the yeast was not distributed evenly among all the jugs!

Back