Apple Sweetening before pressing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublejef

Reaction score
Hi,

In the Jolicoeur's book, he talk about the period of time cider makers let the apple resting in a cool place between Harvest and pressing.
There is a lot of purpose work of pectin, water evaporation,... so I really think it Worth the wait but he is not really clear about the condition of stocking.
cold, dry and ventilated but not in a cold storage...
Any one has an idea of the ideal temperature ? maximumand minimum ? Why not in cold storage because it is too cold or beacause it is not ventilated ?

Hi,

In the Jolicoeur's book, he talk about the period of time cider makers let the apple resting in a cool place between Harvest and pressing.
There is a lot of purpose work of pectin, water evaporation,... so I really think it Worth the wait but he is not really clear about the condition of stocking.
cold, dry and ventilated but not in a cold storage...
Any one has an idea of the ideal temperature ? maximumand minimum ? Why not in cold storage because it is too cold or beacause it is not ventilated ?
I put mine in the garage. It's dry and about 18c. The apples get softer and the skins go a little leathery.

I tried it outside last year but the damper, colder environment caused mould and large rotten areas where the worms are living in the cores.

Back