Apple seed flavour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmulligan

Reaction score
What flavour do apple seeds impart on the cider? I am trying to decide what to do with my seeds. The way I see it I have three choices:
1) throw everything in like I did last year
2) throw everything in except for loose seeds. Loose seeds will end up being a fair number if it goes like last year.
3) try to eliminate all seeds.

Suggestions?

What flavour do apple seeds impart on the cider?

Probably bitter. Try chewing one. Also, apple seeds contain amygdalin, a cyanide and sugar compound that degrades into hydrogen cyanide (HCN) when metabolized. But it would take a truckfull to kill you.

Apple seeds are toxic, but if they are ingested you can kill the bacteria in your stomach by smoking cigarettes.

Source: It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Apple seeds are toxic, but if they are ingested you can kill the bacteria in your stomach by smoking cigarettes.

Source: It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

when i make juicer cider, if i try to double juice the spent pulp i start to grind up seeds. i can smell the almond aroma, but when i have used this juice for cider i have: 1. not died after drinking it and 2. never actually tasted it in the cider
some people make liqueur from apple seeds or peach seeds, it tastes like amaretto. i really like it. I AM STILL ALIVE but some say i'm beating the odds
so anyways i wouldn't worry about it, discard the loose ones, why not, but cider makers for centuries have been grindig and pressing whole apples and not fussing over a few seeds

that said, maybe i need a cigarette

I am not concerned about the safety of the seeds, just the post fermentation flavour of them. I keep forgetting to try a fresh seed.

Back