Apple press, suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OpenSights

Reaction score
I’m looking for a cider press. Obviously I have quite a bit of time before I need one, so no hurry. A good friend of mine has a couple of apple trees that produce a lot every year. Last fall my son and I made apple sauce, other than that the apples are just eaten by deer and the lawnmower.

There’s only one on my local Craigslist, but they want $375, antique, so well built. I see the new ones on amazon and eBay, but don’t know what’s good or bad.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks 2trout, just ordered the book. Scissor jack is an awesome idea!

After looking at the prices of apple presses, I was wondering if one could use a garbage disposal unit to chop the apples, then a modified Papazian-style zappap for the press vessels with a tire jack. It's just in my head, no pictures or anything, but I do wonder if it would work. I think I'll take 2trout's suggestion and look up the whizbang

As a drain cleaner I recommend against a garbage disposal to send solid waste down a disposal, which is stupid my part because that’s how I make my money, but smart because I’m 100% repeat referral.

In the case of grinding with a disposal first, buy new and keep clean!

I built the whizbang press from pictures and info from the interwebs, but have not actually used it yet. It really is a straight forward construction. I used 2x6s i think. I did not go so far as to build the disposal grinder, but if you really are into cider, I think its an excellent way to go.

I have a cousin in law that works at a saw mill that can get me all the hardwood for a few bottles of any kind of brew. The metal will be interesting, don’t have a welder, but have been looking for one. My metal skills are far better than my hack carpentry skills.

There a lots of you tube videos showing a garbage disposer used as an apple grinder.
My grinder is a slightly modified electric wood chipper.
There are all kinds of ghetto cider press videos, I have a small basket press that I use for wine and cider. It holds about 2 gallons of pulp. I've been looking to upgrade for a while; on my wish list is a larger one that doesn't have the threaded rod going down the middle and stainless steel basket.
Something like this:

https://pleasanthillgrain.com/maximizer-fruit-apple-cider-press-stainless-basket

C8A3B704-E094-45C6-B3AA-D36623D74E78.jpeg
BFBF4DC9-75AC-4E50-8C42-64451399DAF8.jpeg
I’m looking for a cider press. Obviously I have quite a bit of time before I need one, so no hurry. A good friend of mine has a couple of apple trees that produce a lot every year. Last fall my son and I made apple sauce, other than that the apples are just eaten by deer and the lawnmower.

There’s only one on my local Craigslist, but they want $375, antique, so well built. I see the new ones on amazon and eBay, but don’t know what’s good or bad.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.
I have done alit of trials at home. Wanting something to last and easy to clean. So I decided to go all stainless with welded on a drum the whole face comes off to access and clean this will be powered by a 3/4 motor. This will be completed here soon for the 2019 season

Back