Apple Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZJoey23

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Saflager W 34/70
Batch Size (Gallons)
1 (test batch, can scale up easily)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 48-52
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
No
Tasting Notes
Tastes like a typical lager, but has notes of apple, especially at the end. Definitely something I will try again, and scale up now that I've made a test batch, possibly adding more hops/ flavor. Open to suggestions.
I was craving an apple flavored beer that wasn't a graff ( I make those also), and tried this one out.
Used a simple recipe as a base (1 lb pilsner DME)
- 1.5 oz 10L steeped in for 10 minutes at 150 for some extra flavor
-calypso hops (supposed to have apple/fruity flavors) - 7g total during boil, 1g dry hopped 10 days in
After steeping, DME boiled for 45 minutes, with hops added at 45 minutes and 20 minutes (3.5 g each).
12 oz of apple juice added to carboy, and cooled wort added to top off to one gallon mark. Pitch yeast, and keep cool at 48-52, ferment for 14 days.
Cheers!

Attachments

• 20191129_204319.jpg
    20191129_204319.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 110
Looks like a very good recipe. Calypso was an excellent choice -- it is very mild and tastes just like pear, which is similar enough to apple I suppose. Since it is so mild, I think you could add a LOT more of it as a dry hop and have it turn out even better.

Cheers!

Looks like a very good recipe. Calypso was an excellent choice -- it is very mild and tastes just like pear, which is similar enough to apple I suppose. Since it is so mild, I think you could add a LOT more of it as a dry hop and have it turn out even better.

Cheers!
Thanks for the suggestion- first time using Calypso so I was guessing. You're definitely right, it is a nice mild hop, and I'm liking the flavor. Will definitely add some more next batch. Thanks!

What was your final gravity and abv? How much of an effect did the apple juice have on them? Also, what yeast did you use?

What was your final gravity and abv? How much of an effect did the apple juice have on them? Also, what yeast did you use?
The final gravity came down to 1.01, so the ABV was at 4.7%. The apple juice bumped it up just a few tenths of a percent than the pilsner malt would've been alone - definitely some nice added flavor though. I used saflager 34/70 for the yeast, which I've had great luck with for the lagers I've done.
*I actually just bottled a second batch of this same recipe yesterday by coincidence- only difference is I added a touch more 10L and a dash of honey malt during steeping for some complexity. Bottle conditioning now, can hardly wait to try again, one of my favorite creations this far.

Did you use store bought apple juice? I'm working up a recipe right now but am wanting to use fresh pressed juice and am unsure how or when to add the juice. How present did the apple come through at 12oz/gallon? Cheers!

Since it was a test batch, I did use store bought juice (Langers, which I use for ciders and graffs I make also). I added to the carboy for primary, and it did come out nice and subtle, and I think it really complimented the Calypso hop flavors as well. For my latest batch I did I also added 6 oz to the bottling mix with the sugars - wasnt much more noticeable but still nice and subtle.

Fresh pressed juice would be a cool idea, it would just need to be pasteurized before adding, and since it was a test batch I didn't go for it. This is legit one of my favorite recipes I've done and I'm always looking to tweak and improve it, so I'd be psyched to hear how fresh pressed works or adding juice at different times during fermentation. If you go for it let me know! Cheers.

This is legit one of my favorite recipes I've done and I'm always looking to tweak and improve it, so I'd be psyched to hear how fresh pressed works or adding juice at different times during fermentation. If you go for it let me know! Cheers.

Thanks for the update on how much you've used. This is the recipe I'm building now: a Brett/bugs appley Saison so it will be quite different than your Lager but hopefully just as tasty! I'm really glad to hear this is one of your favorites. With as little information as I can find about apple beer I was starting to talk myself out of it. I will definitely keep you posted with how/when I add it but I'm leaning towards making a concentrate from my frozen juice and adding it a few weeks before packaging. Cheers!

Back