Apple juice out. To drink, or not to drink...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfr

Reaction score
Hello all. I've never tried to ferment anything, so I came here for advice. About two weeks ago I opened a large glass jug of Martinelli's pasteurized apple juice and drank more than half of it. Now I'm trying to figure out if perhaps it's still drinkable. It's bubbling and there are no signs of mold. It smells like hard cider. What are your thoughts? Will I become ill or die if I try it?

Get a stopper and airlock and let it sit, you've got a wild ferment going.
Better yet, get some more apple juice (without preservatives) and fill the jug almost full, leaving a few inches at the top. If you have any beer yeast from a batch toss that in too, the multiple yeasts will add some complexity to your cider.
I let my cider age 4-6 months or longer before drinking, when it stops bubbling, put a tag on the bottle with a date , screw the original cap back on and let it sit a while. The yeast will settle out faster if you can keep it cold.
I made some decent wild yeast ciders last fall, but cider with English beer yeast tasted better to me.

My wife loves it when I make her hard cider using Martenellis. Matter of fact, she prefers it over store bought. I usually let it sit for a month or two before she drinks it. It comes out tasting like Martenellis sparkling apple cider.

Latest posts

Back