Apple Honey Wheat ale question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RebelRider48

Reaction score
hey y'all so I'm experimenting with a recipe I combinedwith a few other recipes that I found. I'm brewing an apple honey wheat ale its been in the primary for a week. my question is how many pounds of apples should I use and should I put the apples in the primary and let it sit longer or should I Transfer the wort, and put the apples in the secondary?

You piqued my interest and I looked it up in the complete joy of homebrewing. He recommends pasteurizing the fruit by tossing it in at the end of the boil. Turn off the heat and let it steep for 15-20 minutes at 150-180 degrees. Too hot and you'll cause the pectins to set, too low and it won't pasteurize. He says you can leave it in there for primary but should remove it before secondary. He also advises a reduced hopping rate to really let your fruit shine.

Yeah, I guess if the way I experimented with ends up not working I'll have to try that. I did the original boil-honey,grains, cinnamon, dme, and hops. Fermented for a week, then after a week, and peeled,cored, and diced 8lbs of grannysmith apples and heated them just like you mentioned. I kept it around 160 degrees. Then cooled them down, and added them to the wort. I'll find out friday if it works or not.

Back