Apple Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SchillingBrewing

Reaction score
So I'm making an Apple Wheat beer for a competition where I am to take a basic recipe and add one ingredient to make it different. So I chose to add apple to a wheat beer recipe.

Are there any differences between using apple extract from a company like Brewers Best and using some that I can get at Walmart from, say, McCormick or some other such brand from a local supermarket?

I don't really need anything more to ferment, so that is why I haven't considered using apple juice, concentrate, or cider. I just want some distinctive apple flavor in the beer without contributing too much to sweetness or extra fermentable sugars. And as I don't have much time to wait for some Apple Extract to ship from Northern Brewer I was hoping that I could make use of the some extract from a local market.

Any ideas?

Extracts are going to be varied in flavor quality. You might want to put a small amount in a very light flavored beer (Coors light) and see how it tastes.

That is probably a good idea. Unfortunately I thought I had seen apple extract in my local supermarket but I was mistaken and ended up having to buy it from Northern Brewer anyway.

Back