Apple Cranberry Wheat Beer Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3PegBrew

Reaction score
Hey everybody!

I have spent many hours searching the forums for the answer to my question, but have been unsuccessful due to the high volume of threads.:drunk: So, before throwing the hat in I decided to post my question.

I'm planning on making an Apple Cranberry Wheat beer for Thanksgiving time. My problem is trying to figure out what to use for apple flavor. This seems to be a common problem (as noticed when even googling the question). Cut up apples? Apple Juice Concentrate (no preserv)? Or Mashed up apples? I'm trying to steer clear of syrups pre-made at the brew store because I want authenticity. I already know if apples are to be used that pasteurization is required (simple 15-30 min boil).

This will be an all-grain batch (grains are TBA because I'm not sure which ones will complement the apple without overpowering the apple) and I'm planning on using Saaz hops for aroma and flavoring hops due to its characteristics as well.

Keep in mind I'm limited to a 5 gallon batch due to my fermenters space.

I'm open to ideas. Please take pity on me for not reading all the threads (quick and easy approaches are the American way right?)

Thanks fellas! Cheers :mug:

Have you thought about using a liquer like Apple Pucker in the secondary or even as a replacement for priming sugar? I'm a relative noob, but I've heard that this can work well. I'm curious as well.

You could even soak actual apples in the Apple Pucker for about a week to sanitize them.

I apologize for not stating that originally. I bottle my brews currently and in the end add some form of sugar for priming.

Back