apple cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saskman

Reaction score
well looks like I am getting 20# of spartan apples I would like to make about 4L of cider does anyone have a recipe for such a small amount?:drunk:

What kind of cider are you looking for?

A basic recipe could be as simple as crushing/pressing the apples, adding dextrose to the desired OG, then pitching yeast. The options are endless here though.

Well, depending on the sugar in your apples, a true New England Hard Cider is just the fresh pressed apples and yeast, mine (M004) had an OG of 1.042 (about 5.5% ABV). If that's the route you want to go, then just press your apples, and add campden and pectic enzyme. Let that sit for 24 hours, then pitch your yeast (white wine or cider yeast, I'm using Cote De Blancs). Rack about once a month (whenever lees forms) for 6 months, then let it bulk age for another 6 months (optional).

If you want a higher ABV, then add a little dextrose to the mix before you pitch the yeast. It should be done with the fermentation after a few months, and will clear soon after that, then the malo-lactic fermentation starts, which is why traditionally they let it age for 6 months later.

This recipe will come out wine-like. If you wanted a carbonated Hornsby's style, it's a little simpler. Then just follow the same first step, but pitch a different yeast and you'll want to add a little dextrose to bring the ABV up to 7% or so, then as soon as it clears, carb and bottle it, and let it bottle condition.

Someone else could help you more with the second recipe, as I don't like my cider carbed. But at least those are the basics, and both recipes start the same (press, campden, primary for a month).

Back