Apple and pear

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgerBrigade

Reaction score
Will this be a sweeter cider than regular apple?

I heard if you let the brew sit for too long after fermentation It starts not tasting like apples anymore (after three weeks)? Is this true?
I'm totally new and this will be my second batch So any advice would be fantastic! Has anyone done and Apple Pear mixture? If so, how did it come out?

An apple and pear combination will not be any sweeter since both juices will ferment to dry if left to their own devices. If you want a sweet cider or pear cider you need to either cold crash at the desired level or backsweeten and stabilize.

If anything, over time, more flavor develops . . . to a point. Three weeks won't have any negative effect.

sweeter no, but tasty, the pear will be noticeable easily in taste and maybe aroma, i did a batch of store bought apple juice and fresh off our tree pears it added a bit of body possibly as well. It's very enjoyable and i let it ferment all the way out with champagne yeast and bottle carbed no sweetening, after 6 months we tasted it and loved it.

i should add we used 5 gallons of apple and what started as 30 lbs of pears from a batch of perry we just moved the bag of pears from one bucket to the new one and let it rip, pulled the bag of pears after 4 days and let the cider finish off.

pear/apple work well.
The higher sugar content of pear just means more alcohol if fermented dry. I've found pear oxidizes faster, so ends up a darker color than cider. Straight pear fermented dry tastes a little like a weak brandy to me. Lots of alcohol "burn".

dr_al said:
i should add we used 5 gallons of apple and what started as 30 lbs of pears from a batch of perry we just moved the bag of pears from one bucket to the new one and let it rip, pulled the bag of pears after 4 days and let the cider finish off.

So wait I'm a little bit confused, did you have a bag of pairs that you actually put in the fermenting brew?

I have been thinking to myself what would happen if I sliced a few pairs and put them down the neck of the carboy during fermentation?

i used a bucket, but i used a big grain bag or something like that and had 30 lbs of pears that i set in the apple juice, to give it flavor and some more sugar and juice ect.

i let it all ferment together for 4 or 5 days and then i pulled out the bag of pears let it drain and added more AJ after a few more days it was almost done fermenting and i racked to a 5 gallon carboy.

Back