app for beer style?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kharnynb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is there any app or software that can take a recipe and find what style it is?
I tend to throw together a lot of my recipes and it would be fun to have something that matches the relevant style to the beer i make.

If a randomly thrown together beer happens to fit an established style, then it's happenstance.

Not everything is going to fit an accepted style (whomever's style definition that may be), and that's perfectly ok.

Ultimately styles are arbitrary and vary greatly between whichever person/group/body is defining them. That alone makes an app telling you a style based on a recipe impossible or at least 100% subjective and functionally useless. Not to mention that there's far more to "style" than matching a given set of numbers.

If you post a recipe on here, and ask that question you'll get a lot of "it's probably closest to xyz" and likely multiple opinions on what xyz is.

If you want to brew to a style, tailor the recipe to that style from the start.

If you want to brew whatever strikes your fancy, then don't worry in the slightest about style. That's fine too.

The best way to know what styles taste like is to drink a lot of them. Have you considered taking the BJCP judging courses? Lots of people take them with no intent to ever become a judge... it's just a good way to learn one style from another.

The best way to know what styles taste like is to drink a lot of them. Have you considered taking the BJCP judging courses? Lots of people take them with no intent to ever become a judge... it's just a good way to learn one style from another.

cool idea, but bit too far to travel for me ;D

Back