Apostrophes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It doesn't, and you can't,
I won't, and it don't,
it hasn't, it isn't, it even ain't,
and it shouldn't,
it couldn't

grin739l.jpg

rjo0604l.jpg

lfo0038l.jpg

rron11l.jpg

I have a terrible blind spot as to where to put the apostrophe in some contractions. :(

Hey! Shouldn't there be be an apostrophe in "Pregnant"? There are LOTS of contractions in that!

I accidentally type apostrophes in most web forms I encounter.

Just to see what happens.

I like that one t-shirt from busted-tees that just reads "Your Retarded" I loled at that one quite a bit...

I named my player in Counter-Strike Your Retarded for quite a while just to troll for the idiots who feel the need to correct it. :D

Grammar Nazi, grammar Nazi! Your a brewer trapped inside a second grade teachers body.;)

Years ago I was visiting my girlfriend at her college. She was in a room talking with one of her professors while I waited in the hall. I was reading some of the postings on the bulletin board and was amazed at all the spelling mistakes and other grammatical errors. I pulled out a pen and started to make corrections. My girlfriend came out and scolded me for vandalism. I reasoned that since it was supposedly an institution of higher learning, the least they could do was to make sure their postings were grammatically correct before putting them up for the world to see. But what do I know, with my lowly high school education????

Here in RI I think there's a law that says that French Fries must be written as French Fry's on all menus.

Apostrophes are not as bad as people make out. Nobody ever heard of someone being stuck in an apostrophe for eight years, but my brother was never the same after just 3 years in a comma. :(

Try having one as part of your last name, then signing up for ANYTHING. Most systems will not recognize a last name with an apostrophe because it is not alphanumeric.

So not only is it a ***** to deal with bureaucracies, but they tell me my name is wrong too.

Try having one as part of your last name, then signing up for ANYTHING. Most systems will not recognize a last name with an apostrophe because it is not alphanumeric.

So not only is it a ***** to deal with bureaucracies, but they tell me my name is wrong too.

Your name is wrong. It ends with a capital O. ;)

Edit, might I suggest adopting "Apostrophe" as your middle name? Eg: JohnnyO Apostrophe Rourke.

So get them back. Go to court, get your name legally changed so that instead of an apostrophe, you have the number 1.

Johnny O1Brien. And if they ask, just tell them that the number 1 is silent.

There's a thing piano players call 'muscle memory'. Your hand gets used to making a certain shape or playing a certain sequence when you do it often enough. I find that I get some muscle memory when typing that lends itself to spelling errors. My brain thinks one thing and my fingers type out something completely different. Sometimes it's even a couple of words! This is the source of the vast majority of my errors. I know diction, grammar, punctuation, and spelling, but without careful re-reading I make mistakes. When I re-read they jump right out at me.

Back