apollo hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spinout

Reaction score
I'm putting together a pale recipe and am thinking of trying these apollo hops. Any info on them? Are they good for both bittering and aroma, just aroma? The description says citrus and orange....I'm planning a chocolate ale, hopefully it works with it.

APOLLO
18-21% Alpha Acids • American • Bittering Hop
Characterized by its exceptionally high percentage of Alpha Acids, it has excellent storage stability. It has citrus notes, with emphasis on orange. It is resiny, and spicy.
Use For: Any beer with a big hop profile, definitely all american!
Substitutes:Magnum, Columbus - See more at: http://www.homebrewstuff.com/hop-profiles#sthash.ente3BBo.dpuf

I use these a lot, they're a great hop! They are awesome for bittering, super clean and not harsh at all. They have a very dank pungent aroma with some citrus too. I've only used them for aroma in conjunction with other hops though, and I've heard they can overpower if you're not careful

I think I'll give them a shot then, maybe in conjunction with some magnum since I'm ordering them for another. I'll go easy on them since I want the grain more than the hops to be the flavor.

Love these hops ... They are so resiny. Better than Columbus for blending in an iPA. Cheap this year too $9 a lb

Great hop. I use it for a bittering addition in a DIPA. I have also gotten great grapefruit notes when combined with Bravo at whirlpool or dry hopping.

Haven't used em personally but they're allegedly great for bittering. Technically dual purpose, but great for bittering. I love Magnum too, but Magnum to me is almost exclusively a bittering hop since its flavor and aroma are pretty minimal (in my experience). You may want to try your Apollo with Cascade or Centennial, or any of the Aussie/NZ hops, or the boutique trendy US ones (Amarillo, Simcoe, Citra, etc).

I had an all Apollo IPA at a small brewery and it was a pine bomb with a touch of cat pee. Not my favorite. I'd def recommend blending with other more citrusy and/or floral hops to help downplay the kitty notes.

Any thoughts on a blend of Apollo & Galaxy for aroma and dry hop?

I think these would go quite well together. The Apollo will give you the dank resinous character while the Galaxy will round that out with tropical fruit character. Personally I would use about 25-33% Apollo and the rest as Galaxy to keep the Apollo from stealing the show.

Any thoughts on a blend of Apollo & Galaxy for aroma and dry hop?

I'll let you know in a couple days. I just dryhopped with this combo. Two ounces Galaxy and .75 oz Apollo in a four gallon batch. Should be ready to keg on Wed or Thurs.

Definitely keep us posted, yours will be drinkable before I brew....might be the combo I try. What are you brewing? What other hops are in it?

It's a hoppy wheat along the lines of Fortunate Islands (Modern Times). Here's the hop schedule:

4 gallons

.50 oz Warrior @ 60
.75 oz Apollo @ 5
2.0 oz Galaxy @ 180* hopstand
.50 oz Columbus @ 180* hopstand
2.0 oz Galaxy @ dryhop
.75 oz Apollo @ dryhop

I just kicked a version that featured Citra. It was good, huge tangerine flavors and nice balance, but as Citra has a tendency to do, it drowned out the other hops. I'm hoping to get a better balance of fruit and dankness in this one.

Definitively more balanced. That's the one thing I like about Galaxy, even if it has those tropical fruit flavours it still retains some standard hop flavour. Citra is simply bonkers and needs careful blending to not become a one trick pony.

So I've been drinking the Apollo/Galaxy combo for the past few nights. Definitely a solid pair. You get some citrus/mango with a bit of earthiness from the Galaxy and a dank resinous element from the Apollo. In the future I think I'll back off of the Apollo slightly. Even at the above levels the Apollo competes for attention. It's funny, with 2 oz of Citra and .5 oz of Apollo, you could barely taste it. But with 2 oz of Galaxy and .75 oz of Apollo its in the forefront.

I've never used Apollo other than battering. I wasn't a big fan. A bit too resin vs. Warrior or magnum. But i'll give them a try late in the boil!

I'm finally drinking my chocolate ale, one of my best yet. I went easy on the hops, . 3oz of magnum for 60, then. 2 and. 3oz of apollo at 10 and flameout. I think I'll try a wheat sometime with more apollo, but like I said earlier, I wanted more flavor from the grain....and the cocoa.

Back