Apollo/Chinook/Willamette combo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonRikkles

Reaction score
It's been a while since I've brewed a pale ale and I want to try some new hop combinations. I'm going for piney. Any suggestions on the hop schedule?

.4 oz Apollo @ 60 - 24 IBU
.1 oz Chinook @ 20 - 2.8 IBU
.2 oz Willamette @ 20 - 2.3 IBU
.1 oz Chinook @ 10 - 1.7 IBU
.2 oz Willamette @ 10 - 1.4 IBU
.5 oz Chinook @ 5 - 4.6 IBU
1 oz Willamette @ 5 - 3.9 IBU
1 oz Chinook @ 1 - 2.0 IBU
1 oz Willamette @ 1 - .8 IBU
1 oz Chinook @ 0
1 oz Willamette @ 0
1 oz Chinook 4 day dry hop
1 oz Willamette 4 day dry hop

43 IBUs total on a 1.058 OG. .75 IBU/SG ratio.

I'm trying to develop my hopping skills - it's one of my brewing weaknesses. Please let me know if I should be doing anything differently.

FWIW the hop bill for Deschutes "Pine Drops", a very piney ipa, consists of "Millennial, Northern Brewer, Chinook, Centennial, Experimental"

IPAs with very basic grists offer the best opportunity for learning about different hop combos.

Your schedule is too confusing and contains an unnecessary amount of small additions.

For piney and dank:

Apollo
Columbus
Comet
Simcoe
Centennial
Chinook

IPAs with very basic grists offer the best opportunity for learning about different hop combos.

Your schedule is too confusing and contains an unnecessary amount of small additions.

For piney and dank:

Apollo
Columbus
Comet
Simcoe
Centennial
Chinook

I like where your head is at bob. I have a dipa fermenting right now that has all those except comet. :D I can't wait to drink it. Still in high Krausen. I will start dry hopping in 4 days or so.

Do you recommend one bigger addition at 15 and then at flameout?

I've been thinking of making this an IPA instead of an APA. Seems I can better experiment with hop profiles by brining their flavors out a bit more. Hopping for flavor and aroma is my weakness...

Do you recommend one bigger addition at 15 and then at flameout?

I've been thinking of making this an IPA instead of an APA. Seems I can better experiment with hop profiles by brining their flavors out a bit more. Hopping for flavor and aroma is my weakness...

Bitter with 20-30 IBUs at full rolling boil start (60 min), then round out the bitterness at 10 minutes left in the boil to attain the IBUs you desire (about 60-70 IBUs total for a standard IPA should work). Next, begin cooling your wort, and add 25-40% of your total recipe hops by weight when the wort is about 160-180 F. Hold them there for at least 30 minutes. This is called a hopstand. Finally, 2 weeks after primary fermentation has completed, add 40-50% of your hops by weight for the 5 day dryhop. Assuming you use the recipe as a whole makes sense, you should have a blast of hop flavor and aroma with low perceived bitterness.

Back