Aphids help!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfitz24401

Reaction score
I'm a first time grower, I'm growing 1 cascade bine it's about 13 foot tall. Until now everything has been great small cones forming, nice leaves, gaining height regularly but I started noticing holes in the leaves and new growth disappearing. After checking the plant I discovered the aphids, I need to get rid of them but I have cones forming. How do I get rid of the red pests without poisoning the ipa the cones are for?

We bought a sack of ladybugs at the local garden store and put them all over our garden - no more holes in my hop leaves... and the tomatoes are doing great!
Good luck!

mfitz24401 - first of all, aphids do not cause holes in leaves. They have sucking mouthparts, and are not able to chew anything. Regarding the pest problem itself, are you sure you need to deal with the aphids? If you are this close to harvest, likely the aphids will not damage the yield in any noticeable way. If you feel that you need to treat the problem, then a hard blast with a hose on high pressure will likely knock down the numbers enough to get you through till harvest.

Back