apfelwine recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fat cat

Reaction score
was thinking about starting a batch but not decided on a recipe. Do not like real dry wines and want to keep as much of the apple flavor as possable. could you guys post some of your favorite recipies.

was thinking about starting a batch but not decided on a recipe. Do not like real dry wines and want to keep as much of the apple flavor as possable. could you guys post some of your favorite recipies.
First of all becareful what you wish for. I too wanted an apfelwein that had more apple flavor and was perhaps a little sweeter. So I added a couple cans of apple juice concentrate and used Cotes des Blanc yeast instead of the standard Montrachet.
I got more apple flavor but I don't care for it. I made the apfelwein last June and
I still have quite a few bottles sitting around. I recently had a different apfelwein closer to the original and it was much better.

My suggestion is to make Edwort's recipe exactly as listed. Then decide what you may want to change.

Craig

My suggestion is to make Edwort's recipe exactly as listed. Then decide what you may want to change.

+1 Don't mess with the original. You can use other juice, you can use other sugar and you can use other yeast, the fact is that is is not Apfelwein.
Some variants are very good, but to make Apfelwein you need:
5 gallons 100% Apple Juice
2# Corn sugar
1 pack Montrichet Yeast
5 weeks.

Do it! You won't be sorry.

I made a batch with Nottingham( same as edworts just used differnt yeast). I turned out great. I have to make a 10 gallon batch and soon

thanks CBBaron, BigKahuna, and attitude that is what I was looking for.

It sounds like you are looking more for a cider recipe. If you use the word Apfelwein on HBT, then you will instantly be told to make Ed Worts. Not at bad thing at all, haha, I mean 6000 gallons weren't made just because he's popular.

You may want to just browse the cider recipe database and see if anything catches your eye. Best of luck with the new hobby, its addicting.

was thinking about using a green apple base. How do you guys think that would turn out.

Thinking of making my 1st batch of Apfelwein. Can I bottle this stuff in beer bottles with caps, or do I need wine bottles & corks?

Back