Apfelwein -

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

MikeFlynn74

Reaction score
I am going to make some tonight and I wondered if I used a mix like someone suggested-

Cornsugar and Brownsugar. Would I still keep them both at 1lb each?

Also how much yeast? One pack? I didnt see any cooking directions in Edworts- so I assume you can just mix everyhting and let it sit correct?

I would probably still have to heat up the Sugars to get them to fully dissolve though.

cheezydemon

Reaction score
I think you are making it too complicated. Follow the directions, 4,876,8962gallons can't be wrong.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I don't know about brown sugar- I don't like molasses so I wouldn't do that. But it might be tasty to others!

Don't really worry too much about dissolving the sugar- just stir it up. It will eventually dissolve and the yeast will find it. If you heat up apple juice, you'll set the pectin (think apple jelly) and have a permenant pectin haze. One package of yeast will do it!

ohiobrewtus

Reaction score
I can't help you with your brown sugar idea, but what's the worst that could happen? Maybe it's a bit sweeter than the original?

If this is your first time making it I'd recommend that you try the original first. It's so easy my 4 year old could do it, and it's a huge hit at parties at my house.

I've strayed a bit from the original recently adding some different juices, but I stil stick stricly to dextrose and red star champagne yeast.

ohiobrewtus

Reaction score
YooperBrew said:
Well, I don't know about brown sugar- I don't like molasses so I wouldn't do that. But it might be tasty to others!

Don't really worry too much about dissolving the sugar- just stir it up. It will eventually dissolve and the yeast will find it. If you heat up apple juice, you'll set the pectin (think apple jelly) and have a permenant pectin haze. One package of yeast will do it!
How'd you get so many A's in your user title, Yoop? :D </sarcasm>

OP
MikeFlynn74

MikeFlynn74

Reaction score
Ok ima gonna stick with the original-

Force carbing? or should I just do reg carbing?

ohiobrewtus

Reaction score
If you have the capacity to keg you can certainly force carb it if you like. I've only put it in bottles so far, but that will change soon.

OP
MikeFlynn74

MikeFlynn74

Reaction score
cool-

SWMBO says shes very interested in trying it. Do I leave in the primary for 4 weeks then keg?

JoSeR

Reaction score
I just had a batch finish in about 4 weeks. When it was done the airlock totally leveled out, even backwards a bit and the apfelwein cleared. When it was done it was obvious, looks like apple juice again.
Into the keg and carbed it up, SWMBO loves it with a splash of ginger ale.
I thought it tasted really good flat and warm as well.

Latest posts