Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctpuckett

Reaction score
Hello,
I am relatively new to brewing and i hope someone can answer a question for me. I started my first batch of Apfelwein last night. This morning when I got up, I looked at it and there seemed to be a lot of activity going on (pretty heavy bubbles), but I just took a peek at it again and there is absolutely no sign of any bubbling. Below is the recipe I came up with. Can someone tell me if I may have messed up - perhaps I killed the yeast? Thanks

2 gal. apple juice (all natural, no preservatives, pasteurized)
1.5 lbs organic cane sugar
5 grams Lalvin 1118

I made sure everything was well sterilized, so I do not think that could be an issue. I am actually brewing it in a Mr. Beer keg. It will be a while before I can expand my equipment. I know the sugar content is high for the juice volume, that is why I chose a yeast with a higher alcohol tolerance. I am anticipating something that is moderately dry, but still retaining a descent sweetness (organic cane sugar only being about 85% fermentable, I think)

It's fine, from my experience apfelwein has a very "neutral" fermentation. I haven't done it with ec-1118 (I actually have my first pack of it in the fridge though to be done in a couple days) but when I did it with montrachet it was SLOOOWWW and LLOONNGGG. It was nothing like any beer I have brewed. Give it a few days, check the SG to see if it's dropped if you're really worried but personally I would just leave it alone, I'm sure it's doing fine.

Pretty much the only outside force you can screw up: what temps are you fermenting at?

RDWHAHB

it is really helpful to use nutrient and energizer when making cider from store bought juice. there just aren't many nucleation points.
one of two things happened:
1: took off rapidly, now it settled down and the co2 is just dissolving through the water slowly. i've had this happen. or you developed a small leak around the airlock or gasket.
2: without any nutrient, your yeast started, then stalled. as long as you're confident in your sanitation, leave it be for a week, then take an gravity reading and see what is going on.
watch for excessive hydrogen sulfide formation also. smelling a little is normal, but overpowering means you have a problem that is easily fixed if caught early.
good luck and RDWHAHB

No your probably ok I made a similar recipe just doubled the size your doing. Look closely you should see fine fine fine bubbles even check the surface sometimes its more apparent there. Ec-1118 has like no krausen like a beer so don;t be alarmed by this also don't be alarmed by the smell that will come from the fermentor it will be a cross between sulfur and rhino farts this is normal. Ec-1118 tends to ferment dry and the finished apfelwein will be similar to a dry white wine. Your on your way RDWHAHB.

Yeah, it's probably going, so don't worry for now. Bubbles arn't a great way to measure fermentation and as said, it's a slow fermentation that can even appear inactive. And again, as said, nutrient would be most useful - the likes of beer etc have plenty of nutrients and proteins that make fermentation very fast, but apple juice is much less vigourous.

Don't worry about upgrading too quickly - only when you really want to. If you're sticking to extracts etc, it'll all be quite quick anyway, and there's really no need to expand! You will wish for a much bigger batch once you've tasted this one though...

Thanks for all the responses. I will just stop being paranoid about it and let it do what it is going to do

Back