Apfelwein wondering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

wes_1696

Reaction score
I read the first 50 post on the "Man I love Apfelwein" post i understand tree top AJ is what most prefer but I was wanting to ask if Dark Brown suger have a major affect on taste and Does it improve with age or not really needed just as tasty? I just wondering i was going to make a batch next weekend?

samc

Reaction score
Don't know the answers to your question as I just made my first batch. You really don't need to wait for a weekend as the whole process is so fast just do it! And yes it starts out smelling great and morphs into dead awful smell.

Brewer_Steve

Reaction score
I've fermented apfelwein with dark brown sugar. It worked great. It had a slightly different flavor than white sugar, but it was still good.

ifishsum

Reaction score
I'd recommend making your first batch just as the recipe says so you have a baseline. Then play around with subsequent batches. So far I like the original the best, I haven't tried with brown sugar though.

I started drinking my first batch after 4 weeks fermenting and 4 in the bottle. I liked it then but it was a little tart and yeasty tasting, it definitely improves over time. I'm currently just starting to drink from a batch that's 4 months in the bottle and it's very good.

jma99

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Best batch I have made so far had a half gallon of grade B dark maple syrup!

Took much longer to smooth out, but after 6 months, it is amazing!

brokenanchor

Reaction score
I just made a 15 gallon batch with half dextrose and half dark brown sugar using Nottingham yeast. It's ridiculously good after only a month. I'm sure it'll be even better in a few months. I used Nottingham because I wanted a clean finish without that didn't taste as dry. The result is way too drinkable :drunk:, so go for it.