Apfelwein wondering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wes_1696

Reaction score
I read the first 50 post on the "Man I love Apfelwein" post i understand tree top AJ is what most prefer but I was wanting to ask if Dark Brown suger have a major affect on taste and Does it improve with age or not really needed just as tasty? I just wondering i was going to make a batch next weekend?

Don't know the answers to your question as I just made my first batch. You really don't need to wait for a weekend as the whole process is so fast just do it! And yes it starts out smelling great and morphs into dead awful smell.

I'd recommend making your first batch just as the recipe says so you have a baseline. Then play around with subsequent batches. So far I like the original the best, I haven't tried with brown sugar though.

I started drinking my first batch after 4 weeks fermenting and 4 in the bottle. I liked it then but it was a little tart and yeasty tasting, it definitely improves over time. I'm currently just starting to drink from a batch that's 4 months in the bottle and it's very good.

Best batch I have made so far had a half gallon of grade B dark maple syrup!

Took much longer to smooth out, but after 6 months, it is amazing!

I just made a 15 gallon batch with half dextrose and half dark brown sugar using Nottingham yeast. It's ridiculously good after only a month. I'm sure it'll be even better in a few months. I used Nottingham because I wanted a clean finish without that didn't taste as dry. The result is way too drinkable :drunk:, so go for it.

Back