Apfelwein with ale yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porky_pine

Reaction score
Can I brew edwort's apfelwein recipe using wyeast 3068 weihenstephan weizen yeast in a 5 gallon carboy or will there be too much krausen?

If I brew it in a 6 or 6 1/5 gallon carboy, can I leave it in there for a month or two without transferring to secondary or will there be too much head space and risk oxidation?

I have a lot of empty 5 gallon carboys and want to try variations of edworts apfelwein recipe using different yeasts.

Yes you can brew it with 3068 in a 5 gallon carboy, just use a blowoff tube and don't be surprised if you lose some of it. 3068 is a sick strand that loves sugar.

Also, in a primary, you're not going to get oxidation. The CO2 will fill up the headspace and push all the oxygen out. You can leave the Apfelwein on the lees for 3 months before it needs a secondary rack.

It may have a strong yeast flavor (well ester flavor) because its dry so there isn't anything to compete with flavor wise

Not that it would be bad... just make sure you like that banana

Latest posts

Back