Apfelwein with ale yeast and an open-fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've never made EdWort's Apfelwein before (just lots o beer), could I:

1. use liquid ale yeast? or would that prevent it from fully fermenting? (does anyone know the final gravity or abv?)

2. use a bucket instead of a carboy? would there be enough CO2 during fermentation for this to work well (using an ale yeast, i would assume yes)

WOuld guess if he's asking if there's enough CO2 produced to keep blanket of CO2 over the fermenter to keep it from being exposed to oxygen (sounds as if he's using bucket with no lid for fermenter?). Just a guess.

HAHAHAHA

yes, a bucket with lid and airlock; and yes, a blanket of CO2 to prevent oxidation and off flavors (i was worried about 1-month ferment time)

thanks for the thread link, buffalo, but the reason i asked about liquid ale yeast is because that thread has about 1000 pages, 90% of which is "dude, apelwein is awesome"

i was worried that beer yeast might tucker out and not finish fermentation because of abv or lack of enzymes (which are important in barley for diff reasons)... but i don't think it'll be a prob

i searched the thread and see some people using Nottingham. I'll give liquid yeast slurry a shot and let you all know. x o

OK BB, nice to know you have a lid. :)

The enzymes in malt are boiled to death, (technically they are denatured) so I think you are thinking about the nutrient's. I'm not sure the nutrient content of cider, but I think it's fine. If in doubt add some yeast nutrient.

I always add yeast nutrient- Its way cheap and hasnt let me down yet.

Ale yeast is great in the cider- I used Sweet Mead yeast which is more tolerant of Alcohol. Turned out EPIC

Back