Apfelwein with a twist

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSR402

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Really there is nothing you can do to Apfelwein to make it better, but you can do different.
I love Apfelwein but so does my wife. She can float a keg faster then I can make it. So I got to thinking. I need to make some that she can not drink. Well she is allergic to Cranberries. So I kegged a batch of Apfelwein and then made a batch right on the yeast cake of 2.5 gal of Apple and 2.5 gal of "Northland Cranberry" It's not straight cranberry but a mix of cranberry, apple, and grape. I also put in the 2# sugar just like Apfelwein.
I kegged it up last night and had about 2qt's left in the carboy so I racked that to a glass and drank it. Being room temp (well, 63*) and flat it was still dang good.
It's Apfelwein with a little bit of tangy cranberry to it but not in your face cranberries.

I did the crank the CO2 up to 40 and shake the keg for a few minutes last night then took it off the gas and let it sit over night. I just put it back on the cas at the normal 12 psi and I'm having some now.:rockin:

I did not take an OG of it just like I don't with Apfelwein. But the FG was 0.996

Oh well, just thought I would share.

DAVKI-MVC-720F.JPG

Back