Apfelwein...stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoemaker

Reaction score
So I pitched my yeast into my apfelwein on 11/25, using wine dry yeast. I did just throw it in and didn't hydrate it at all. After a few days of no fermentation, I added another packet of yeast, hydrated. It finally showed signs of fermentation but little.

Sure enough, just now, I took a gravity reading and it reads 1.080. Granted, I did put 5lbs of sugar in (got this recipe from a wine store claiming they won competitions with it). What should I do to get this moving along? Did I put too much sugar in? Should I move this juice to another carboy, leaving some sugar behind and repitch another packet of yeast?

Champagne yeast should be able to ferment that, no problem.

What was the OG?

Finally, what about the juice you used? What ingredients does it have in it? If there is sorbate or benzoate, it won't ferment.

Champagne yeast should be able to ferment that, no problem.

What was the OG?

Finally, what about the juice you used? What ingredients does it have in it? If there is sorbate or benzoate, it won't ferment.

I very stupidly didn't check the OG after I put the juice in. However, it is all natural apple juice I got from a farm. I got it for free because it was bottle of the barrel, unfiltered juice. I don't think this would be a problem though. The juice tastes fine, it just isn't really fermenting.

I'm thinking moving it to a new carboy "to start over" would be best. Or not?

I can't see any reason to put it into a new carboy. The vessel doesn't matter. You're sure the juice didn't have any preservatives added at all? It should have started by now, and been going gangbusters.

I'd suggest trying a package of Lalvin EC-1118, rehydrating according to package instructions. That should get it going.

Back