Apfelwein - Still or Sparkling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winvarin

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum. Moderators, please relocate this thread if needed.

I have not yet tasted or tried to make Apfelwein. I've seen it mentioned in a number of threads and finally got around to looking up EdWort's recipe today. It mentions at the end that it can be carbonated if desired.

I'm looking for feedback from those of you out there who have tried it both still and sparkling. Do you have a preference? My first thought for my inaugural batch would be to split it and bottle half still, and carbonate the rest.

The first batch I split in halfe, and carbed one half. More people, including myself, seemed to prefer the carbed over the still. From now on I always carb.

I suggest you just do the same thing and see for yourself for subsequent batches.

Appreciate it Revvy. I dabbled in meads for awhile back in the 90s. I liked still meads but my family and friends seemed to prefer the carbonated ones. I think a 50/50 split is probably good for the first try.

What do you recommend as far as aging. Looks like 4-6 weeks in the primary and straight to packaging. How long would you want to age it in the bottle before drinking?

Anubis is right. I've found that people hated it any less than six months, and really love it after a year. When I make my batches every couple of years or so I make it the week between Christmas and NY, and serve it the following year at that time.

For a 5 gallon batch split in half, what and how much of "what" are you using to carbonate 2.5(ish) gallons of apfelwein?

In his recipe, Edwort recommends 3/4 cup of corn sugar for carbonation. If memory serves, that's about 5 ounces. At any rate, my plan was to weigh out 3/4 cup of sugar on my scale. Then just re-measure half of that for carbonating the partial batch.

I figure on bottling day, the whole batch goes into my bottling bucket. I have gallon markings on the bucket. I can easily put another mark at 2.5. I'll just bottle the still stuff until I hit the mark, then add my priming sugar mixture, stir softly and bottle the rest.

To revive an old thread...
I tried my 7 month old Apfelwein yesterday and it is ok but too dry for my tastes so I added 400ML wine conditioner in 5 gals. I ;ll let it sit another month then I was going to bottle it still.
But now I'm wondering why I couldn't keg it and force carb it? Then if it turns out well why couldn't I use my BMBF and fill some champagne bottles?
Feedback anyone?

Back