Apfelwein: Reusing Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petunia

Reaction score
What are the consequences of continually adding apple juice to the old sediment (not clarifying the old yeast)? Will it affect the flavor?

Just wondering, because that is what I just did. Wanted to see what would happen. Maybe I'll just keep the experiment going unless the flavor begins to get off.

Thanks,
Jennifer

I asked Ed Wort the same question a while back, He said you can probably do it once but he doesn't at all because wine yeast is so cheap.

I did it for 10 batches over the course of a year on the same pack of yeast. No washing, just dump the new juice and sugar on the same yeast cake each time I racked. I had no troubles because I was really careful with aseptic technique. I think that some of my later batches on that yeast cake were better than my original. The only reason I tossed it was because I was so stocked up on applewine I could not justify making more.

Would I suggest everyone do this, no. In fact the only reason I did it was to see if I could and was ready to accept the consequences if a batch went south. I just started a new cake (2 batches and 6 weeks in) to see if I can achieve the same success again.

Hope that helps! :mug:

Cool! That's kinda what I figured too, or I wouldn't have done it. I am very careful about sanitation too. We'll just roll with it and then get overstocked on Apfelwein too.

Thank you very much,
Jennifer

Not a problem, but I must give the disclaimer that my results may not be reproducible, and I may have had a streak of awesome luck. :D

Back