Apfelwein question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Awesome

Reaction score
The recipe for EdWort's Apfelwein calls for a five gallon carboy. Could I use a six gallon carboy, or will that be too much head space??

When getting into wine I was going to order a pinot grigio kit or a chardonnay kit, but this seems like a significantly cheaper and possibly a tastier place to start.

A 6 gallon carboy should work fine, that is what I am using and the Apfelwein is coming out fantastic.

Mr. Awesome said:
The recipe for EdWort's Apfelwein calls for a five gallon carboy. Could I use a six gallon carboy, or will that be too much head space??

When getting into wine I was going to order a pinot grigio kit or a chardonnay kit, but this seems like a significantly cheaper and possibly a tastier place to start.

You can also just add another gallon of apple juice and 2/5lb sugar, maybe wait a day or two before you do this so the fermentation can calm down

Back