apfelwein question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzer

Reaction score
Hi all, I was wondering what the corn sugar does that cane sugar does not:confused: I know the Ed Worts calls recipe calls for corn sugar is it for taste or alcohol or both. I can't get corn sugar without a two hour trip or ordering it.

3/4 cup corn sugar for carbonation. don't think it works with cane ... :)... time to stock up ...

Any simple sugar will ferment. Corn sugar is a simple sugar and cane sugar is a simple sugar. The difference is that cane sugar can impart a flavor that corn sugar may not. I am not sure that the flavor that cane sugar will impart in cider is unpleasant and I am even less sure that if you are simply using the sugar to prime the cider or wine you will be able to detect the difference between cane and corn sugar in the volume of cider/wine. Ironically, brewers claim that adding cane sugar to beer gives it a cidery flavor .. so even if your palate is educated enough to detect the presence of cane sugar you won't likely detect it in apple wine... I make cider and I make apple wine (not made Ed Wort's apfelwein ) and I have never had a problem with cane sugar.

Thanks SJ I'm really new to this and really try to follow tried and true recipes

Thanks Bernard I just read a post on another thread that the corn sugar gives it a little extra kick {sounds good}but I may go ahead and use cane sugar because the corn is unavailable to me right now.

I changed my mind I think I will do some xmas shopping this wkend and stop at the LHBS. two birds w/one stone kinda thing.

Hi all, I was wondering what the corn sugar does that cane sugar does not:confused: I know the Ed Worts calls recipe calls for corn sugar is it for taste or alcohol or both. I can't get corn sugar without a two hour trip or ordering it.

I'm not familiar with Ed's recipe, but if you can't get corn sugar use regular cane or beet sugar. If you use too much granulated sugar in beer you can get a "cidery" taste. That's hardly a problem with wine. :)

Is this priming sugar you are talking about, or is it added up front?

I used cane sugar when it came with my very first kit and have never used it since. Regular sugar works great; I've never heard anyone say anything about the flavor. I don't believe there's a detriment to using table sugar.

If you poke around this forum, I think you'll find that the consensus is that there's not much (or any) difference.

Good luck!

ed worts recipe calls for 2ib corn sugar up front. if I read it right?

Ed's recipe calls for 2ib corn sugar up front. I think it was just for a little extra kick.

okay, I found the recipe. There should be no problem using plain ol' white sugar in that instead of corn sugar. It won't be the same, but it should be really close.

No, it will be the same.

Corn sugar and cane or beet sugar are pretty much interchangeable in wine and cider making (and brewing, actually, as well).

The difference between dextrose (corn sugar) and cane sugar (sucrose) is minimal. Sucrose is a disaccharide comprised of dextrose and fructose. Corn sugar is dextrose, a monosaccharide. The theory is that it takes more energy to "break" the two bonds in sucrose than in dextrose but that's just a theory, and it doesn't seem to matter in wine or cider making.

No, it will be the same.

Corn sugar and cane or beet sugar are pretty much interchangeable in wine and cider making (and brewing, actually, as well).

The difference between dextrose (corn sugar) and cane sugar (sucrose) is minimal. Sucrose is a disaccharide comprised of dextrose and fructose. Corn sugar is dextrose, a monosaccharide. The theory is that it takes more energy to "break" the two bonds in sucrose than in dextrose but that's just a theory, and it doesn't seem to matter in wine or cider making.

Boom! Vindicated!

Pun intended... With the "vin"....

Never mind, I was just spot on.

Back