Apfelwein question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moorerm04

Reaction score
I have brewed a few batches of cider for SWMBO. I have had pretty decent luck in the past with it so I tried a Apfelwein recipe that called for Wyeast 3068.... Perfect because I had a good bit of washed yeast slurry from a Bavarian Hefe I brewed back in august. I didn't have any DME for a starter and the nearest HBS is over an hour away so I used the MR Malty calculator to pitch the appropriate amount of slurry into my fermenter. So I pitched at 64 degrees and this morning there is a nice little Krausen on top and zero airlock activity. I know that it doesn't mean anything as far as airlock activity, but has anyone else had this happen. It's a 3.5 gallon batch, OG of 1.060 not for sure the amount of yeast it was I'm not home to look into my notebook but I used a calculator for it so it should be spot on. The Krausen looks like a dark Carmel colored froth.

if there is kraussen there is activity.. the lack of airlock activity means nothing except there is no airlock activity. could be an air leak or anything. I had one once that was still as heck with all kinds of kraussen.. tapped the airlock and it came unstuck and went rapid fire for quite a while before settling down to a nice steady bubble.

I forgot to mention it is is a 5 gal carboy so there is a lot more headspace than usual.

Back