apfelwein question---

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pa-in-utah

Reaction score
Gonna make a batch real soon and I am curious....

Do I need to buy an apple juice that has no absorbic acid? I have only found one juice that is "100% juice". Almost all others have absorbic acid in them. Is that ok?? What does absorbic acid do to the juice (or apfelwein)??

If I use other juices (cranberry, bluberry, grape, etc) what ingredients are a no-no for brewing.... I guess I am asking, what preservatives should I watch out for.

Thanks in advance for all the awesome info you guys (and gals) provide to us younger brewers!!!!:rockin:

Ascorbic acid, a.k.a. vitamin C, is fine. It is just added for nutritional reason. This has been discussed over in the never-ending Apfelwein thread and a few people have confirmed that they used juice with ascorbic acid and everything came out fine. Just make sure it doesn't have preservatives, I think all preservatives will keep the yeast for living (as they should).

Good to know that you apfelwein will prevent scurvy.

What about Fruit Pectin and Citric Acid? What effect will they have on fermentation?

Citric acid is a preservative and to add sour flavor. It is used a lot because it is natural, so the juice or whatever can be labeled "all natural." Can't say for sure if it will interfere with the yeast though.

Thanks for info! I was thinking of adding some grape juice or cherry juice to a batch of Apfelwein, and wanted to check the ingredients!

Back