Apfelwein not fermenting.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim27

Reaction score
Last night I tried my hand at Edwort's simple recipe. Thirteen hours in and there dose not seem to be any fermentation. No airlock activity what so ever And the yeast seems to be making round clumps on the surface of the juice. Only difference from edworts recipe is that I used a different apple juice. It was all organic and not from cocentrate it didnt have preseratives either. One thing that did happen is that when I poured my yeast into my funnel neck it seems like half of it stuck to the funnel and it wouldn't wash off with the remaining apple juice. Well i panicked and tried to use my freshly washed finger to get some of it out. Needless to say I was not very successful.:( My question where do I go from here? Do I add another packet of yeast? Or do I wait a little while longer to see what happens?

Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Tim27

Tim, I wouldn't worry about it. Mine didn't take off until after 24hrs, and when it started..... it got pretty violent. Right now the yeast are multiplying, and pretty soon there will be a war in your carboy.

Agreed...be patient, thirteen hours is too soon to draw conclusions towards failed fermentation. It can take anywhere between 24-72 hours before the yeast have multiplied enough to show visual signs. As nice guy wrote, it may be sooner, but no need to panic yet

Well I guess patience trully is a virtue with this hobby. I have that bubbling going that I saw in edwort's youtube vid. Thank you to all who replied. Now for the waiting.:D

First....https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/

13 hours is not 72...secondly, what do you mean by "no fermentation is happenning?" Do you mean you airlock is not bubbling???? Airlock bubbling or lack of means jack Sh$$ except that there's no excess co2 building up to be vented, because an airlock is nothing but a vent..it's not a fermentation bauge...only a hydrometer or refractometer can tellyou if fermentation is occuring

thirdly, if your yeast is making round clumps on the surface, then it is indedeed "dong something" it is starting to build a krauzen.....if yeat is doing anything than it is fermenting..an unless you do a hydro reading, then you won't know what is going on...

FInally...Apfelwein, is not koolaid...it will take a couple months for it to be drinkable....so you don;t need to obsess over it....it is doing what it needs to at it's own speed...mine took 3 months to clear and be bottled, and noone would rink it for another 4 minimum, then they loved it, so a few hours is nothing in the process that it is going through...so walk away and relax, the yeasts are in charge and they know what to do.

I know I need to be more patient. It is just such a simple recipe I would be embarrased if I messed it up. So now i will just excersise the RDWHAHB philosophy.:mug:

I guess my real question is should I add another packet of yeast? Or is what I got in there sufficient for complete fermentation?

If, in more 3 days from now, you haven't got ANYTHING going on in there, add another package of yeast.

Latest posts

Back