Quantcast

Apfelwein Mods

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
Hey all,

Im going to make some apfelwein today, i wanted to ask a question about adding an ingredient to it. I wanted to put some ground cinnamon into the mix but im unsure when to add it, or if ground sugar is even able to be used. Thanks for any help!

sirsloop

Reaction score
I add two whole cinnamon sticks to 6 gallons and 1-2# of dextrose. After it ferments I use splenda to back sweeten it. I'm gonna use 1 cup for 6 gallons next batch.

SixFoFalcon

Reaction score
For my most recent batch, I added some blackstrap molasses along with the dextrose. The molasses darkens the color quite a bit, and since it has many unfermentable sugars in it, it leaves a residual sweetness that works really well with the apple flavors.

Around the holidays, I simmer some apfelwein with cinnamon sticks, ground allspice, and toss in some brown sugar and rum to make a kick-ass grog. :mug:

If you were going to add cinnamon before fermentation, I don't see any reason why you couldn't just toss it in along with your sugar of choice, yeast, etc.

JimC

Reaction score
IMHO go with a vodka infusion. When you are ready to bottle/keg, pull off a small measured amount. Set it aside and make a vodka infusion with cinnamon (a pint or 2 of vodka and enough cinnamon to do the whole batch). Slowly add this infusion with a measured eyedropper to your sample. When that sample tastes perfect, do the math to size up for the whole batch and add that much infusion to the keg/bottling bucket.

The easiest way to screw up a good brew is to much spice.