Apfelwein....lower ABV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy_awesome

Reaction score
Well I am enjoying my first batch of cider, only problem is I followed Edwort's recipe and as much as I like it, It just knocks me out and the wife won't even touch it because it's too strong!!

For those of you who don't know I used a kilo of dextrose with 5 gallons of AJ.

Didn't have a hydrometer back then, but I figure it was something around 8-10percent.

I would like to make something around the 5% mark, I have read from different threads that if you don't add ANY dextrose it will be around 5% but I doubt that, I figure around half a kilo will get you 5-6%

Has anyone ever done official results with a lower alcohol apfelwein?

There's a couple things you could possibly try. First, take a hydro reading on just the juice itself. That will give you a pretty good indication of what your ABV% will be if you don't add any sugar to the Apfelwine.

If that percentage is still too high, you can still try to control the amount of alcohol produced by stopping the fermentation at a certain point. If you were to do this, you will probably want to hold off on adding ANY additional sugars to the batch. You can then figure out what your OG is and figure out what FG you need based on the ABV% you're looking for. Once you hit that target FG, rack the Apfelwine into secondary and cold crash to stop fermentation. This will leave the Apfelwine sweeter as there are still uneaten sugars, but will at least reduce the amount of alcohol in the batch.

Another avenue you could use is to ferment out a batch as normal then split it in two.

Bottle the higher ABV% batch for yourself.

With the other you can add some potassium sorbate which will stop any further fermentation. Then add another gallon of AJ. This will sweeten and water down your wife's half of the batch.

Leave out the corn sugar, unless you like it hoochy. Also use hefe yeast, or S-05. It's a much more pleasant beverage.

just juice and yeast will drop you at about 6-6.5% or so, if it stops around 1.000. skip the champagne yeast and throw some s-04 in there.

I am enjoying my first batch as well and have had rave reviews from everybody who has tired it! (Even people that do not usually enjoy anything other than B*d L%$^t) However I agree it can be a real but kicker, so I found that I enjoy it even more with Sprite. It sweetens it up a little and dilutes it some. (I prefer about 2/3 Apfelwien 1/3 Sprite). Give it try!

I am enjoying my first batch as well and have had rave reviews from everybody who has tired it! (Even people that do not usually enjoy anything other than B*d L%$^t) However I agree it can be a real but kicker, so I found that I enjoy it even more with Sprite. It sweetens it up a little and dilutes it some. (I prefer about 2/3 Apfelwien 1/3 Sprite). Give it try!
If you like it on the sweet side I would recommend a weizen yeast since it leaves about 25% residual sugar behind. It's very nice.

sacrilege!!!​

:D

I made mine with just a pound of sugar (I used fructose) and it was very good right from bottling time. No hoochiness whatsoever.

sacrilege!!!

:D

To be fair, Edwort's apfelwein is supposed to as best as he could imitate an authentic german apfelwein. And it is common practice to cut it with sprite or similar beverages, in fact they have names specifically for these mixes, and Edwort mentions these himself.

Thanks for the tips guys

I should correct myself I used s-04 yeast because I wanted a sweeter taste.
As much as I can tolerate strong drinks I still put some sugar in the drink before I drink it up.

Next batch will just have AJ and s-04, I will try that and see how she tastes.

Thanks again everyone!

To be fair, Edwort's apfelwein is supposed to as best as he could imitate an authentic german apfelwein. And it is common practice to cut it with sprite or similar beverages, in fact they have names specifically for these mixes, and Edwort mentions these himself.

I thought I read someplace that although this practice is common, it's considered gauche by the more traditional consumers of Apfelwien.

to each is own I guess - but personally I think the amber asskicker stands alone *quite* nicely... and will continue to badger (in a friendly way of course) any milquetoast who thinks it's "too strong" to drink straight up and by the pint :drunk:

:D remember... all in good fun folks:rockin:

I thought I read someplace that although this practice is common, it's considered gauche by the more traditional consumers of Apfelwien.

to each is own I guess - but personally I think the amber asskicker stands alone *quite* nicely... and will continue to badger (in a friendly way of course) any milquetoast who thinks it's "too strong" to drink straight up and by the pint :drunk:

The hardcore drinker who happens to have fruit in every single one of his brews in his sig :mug:

All in good fun.
I too prefer the Apfelwein just as the Edman prescribed from a pint glass. I llke light carbonation in mine however.

4 gallons of juice
1 gallon of water, boiled with 1# of Extra light DME
US-05 Dry Ale Yeast

= 5.5% Apfelbier

Did this once and it was a big hit. Had a very nice hint of malt to it, and was a bit more "drinkable" than my normal 8.5% apfelwein. If you wanted to preserve the wine taste, then using montrachet or a champagne yeast would work fine as well.

Bra-freaking-vo. :mug:

I'm off to go pour myself a pint of the sweet Apfelprisonwein right now, as a matter of fact.

Edited: My wife does like to cut it with Sprite, 7-Up, or similar though. Then again, she's just over half my body weight and about 1/10th of my alcohol tolerance.

I find it is great mixed with Fresca. I have a batch that has been aging for about 6 months, I plan to keg 4.5 gallons of it with .5 gallons of Fresca. Not sure how it will hold up in the long term but I did a small test and it seemed good.

Bra-freaking-vo. :mug:

I'm off to go pour myself a pint of the sweet Apfelprisonwein right now, as a matter of fact.

Edited: My wife does like to cut it with Sprite, 7-Up, or similar though. Then again, she's just over half my body weight and about 1/10th of my alcohol tolerance.

yeah but remember - getting jagged helps make SWMBO uh... Pliable?
:drunk:

Back