Apfelwein - Long primary, can I reduce aging/conditioning time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CallMeZoot

Reaction score
I left my apfelwein in primary for about 13 weeks (mostly out of laziness). Primed/bottled last week.

I realize it will need some time to fully carbonate (how much?), but will I need to age it much further after that?

In other words, does extra time in primary "count" towards aging time, or are there new/different processes that occur once it's bottled/primed (again, aside from carbonation).

Thanks,
chris.

CallMeZoot said:
I left my apfelwein in primary for about 13 weeks (mostly out of laziness). Primed/bottled last week.

I realize it will need some time to fully carbonate (how much?), but will I need to age it much further after that?

In other words, does extra time in primary "count" towards aging time, or are there new/different processes that occur once it's bottled/primed (again, aside from carbonation).

Thanks,
chris.
at least 2 weeks of bottle conditioning at room temp.

13 weeks?????????

how can anyone be that damn lazy!!?!? You had liquid gold and yet just didnt want too?!?!?!?

sorry- been 9 weeks dry over here

MikeFlynn74 said:
13 weeks?????????

how can anyone be that damn lazy!!?!? You had liquid gold and yet just didnt want too?!?!?!?

sorry- been 9 weeks dry over here

Heheh, I've been brewing a lot lately so there's always a laundry list of things to do when I have a few spare minutes. I find bottling tedius and time-consuming so it frequently gets pushed to the bottom of the list...

I'm mostly a kegger now but I only have one tap and I like to keep that to beer -- so bottling tends to be low on my priority list.

chris.

Back