Apfelwein Kegs and Off-flavors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

efreem01

Reaction score
Hi All,

So far i've made two six gallon batches of Apfelwein. When i kegged both batches, i used the same corny keg. They came in one after another. I'm about to kick my second keg of Apfelwein. Is there a possibility this could cause off-flavors if i rack beer into the keg? I've been told that rubber seals can impart soda-flavors in refurbished soda kegs.

Is my brown ale going to taste like apfelwein?

efreem01 said:
Hi All,

So far i've made two six gallon batches of Apfelwein. When i kegged both batches, i used the same corny keg. They came in one after another. I'm about to kick my second keg of Apfelwein. Is there a possibility this could cause off-flavors if i rack beer into the keg? I've been told that rubber seals can impart soda-flavors in refurbished soda kegs.

Is my brown ale going to taste like apfelwein?

Just clean it as you would between any two batches and you'll be fine. The only soda that lingers after a good washing is root beer. Not sure why, but boy does it.

that's no joke. root beer will ruin EVERY o-ring in a keg, and you'll spend a couple days soaking it to get all the odor out of the surface of the stainless steel.

Back