apfelwein infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetallHed

Reaction score
I noticed this white stuff forming in my apfelwein. It's been fermenting for over two months now.

Infected?

IMAG0027.jpg

IMAG0028.jpg

pictures? If you used edwort's exact recipe, you shouldn't have anything white floating on top. Most likely an infection...but I can't say for sure without pictures.

Did the pictures not show up? I attached two.. my guess was it might have gotten infected..

Sorry, I was at work when I posted that. For some reason my work computer won't allow me to see pictures posted on these forums. It doesn't even show a little X.

I'm throwing in another vote for not infected.

hmm.. it's weird because it's been pretty clear for a while now.. and they just showed up a week ago... it needs to be bottled now anyway, so I'm probably going to do that this weekend..

Thanks for the help!

Looks like sediment that has just stuck to the sides, i would also guess its nothing to be concerned about. Fermenting for 2 months ???? are you sure its still fermenting ?
check the sg, and i think you will find thats its done and you should rack it and leave it to clear.

Looks like yeast to me. I had yeast rafts like that in a batch of Ordinary Bitter that I pulled out the first bottle for tasting yesterday. They collected on the little grooves along the inside of the Grolsch bottles I used. Tilted them slightly each way so it fell to them bottom and then chilled. No problems.

Back