Apfelwein Infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Col_klink

Reaction score
All,
I'm hoping this attached picture is viewable. I have had my first batch of Apfelwein in the carboy since Memorial Day. I checked it about a week ago and everything looked fine. I just checked it today and see this white "stuff" on the sides of the carboy. Am I screwed? I did notice before what looked like yeast settling on the ribs of the carboy. This white stuff almost looks like it is "falling" from the ribs where the yeast had settled. I don't see anything on the surface, this is all below the surface. Man I hope this is isn't an infection; but I have a bad feeling. :(
Anyone have good news for me??

apfelwein.jpg

sometime the fermentable will stick to the sides of glass like that, plus the yeast will sometimes do the same. Most of the time inflection will appear that the top with big bubbles or look like white fuzzy wax paper.

Yep its yeast settling. I always noticed my Apfelweins start clear, get cloudy, lighten up a lot, then when the yeast starts to fall and it starts to clear you will get the yeast collecting anywhere it wants to. Infections usually can be identified by the pellicle which looks spiderwebby on the surface. look at the "show us your infection" thread for examples. They look cool.

Back