Apfelwein in primary - how long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxdcmast

Reaction score
Ive had a batch of apfelwein in primary since december 31st and am going to be starting another 15 gallon batch possibly tonight. I was wondering though is there an amount of time that is too long to let it sit in primary before bottling?

It has been just about a month now and I want to make sure it doesnt get screwed up.

Also since this does not contain any hops I should be able to bottle this in clear or green bottles without any worries correct?

One month is perfect for apfelwein - it should be nice and clear. Clear or green bottles will do just fine - you don't have to worry about sun exposure with apfelwein, as there are no hops.

I say bottle it up and let it sit. :mug:

I go up to 8 months in my primary, as long as your using glass or a better bottle. I wouldn't go nearly that long in a ale pale though.

I just want to make sure Im actually still collecting bottles so Im glad that I can let it sit in the primary (glass carboy) for a little while longer. Im guessing the longer i let it sit the better its gonna get?

The longer in the primary, the better. Just like the longer in the secondary for a lot of ales, the better. I have done apfelwein anywhere from 1 month up to 6 months in the primary before bottling. Not that it is bad after 1 month and better at 6, I'm just saying with age, there is a difference you will appreciate.

Loop

what about racking to a secondary. Right now I am bass ackwards with my apfelwein in a six gallon and I have a free 5 gallon doing nothing...Or, should I just not bother and bottle it? It has been in primary for 6 weeks and I really could use the fermenter.

Do I have to wait for bubbling to stop before bottling?

I have a batch of apfelwein that has been fermenting for 6 weeks now and there is still a lot of airlock bubbling (a bubble every 10 seconds maybe). I'm thinking if I prime and bottle now they will all become bottle bombs with all that CO2 coming out. But many seem to be bottling after 4 weeks...

It HAS been warming up lately, but the bubbles are very constant.

Mine took over a month to ferment in the gargage (69-70) using CY-1118 yeast. I racked it to a 6.5 carboy and back sweetened it with another gallon of apple juice, sorbistat K, and K-meta...it's carbonating in a keg now.

Back