Apfelwein in Plastic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cd2448

Reaction score
I notice that EdWort makes his Apfelwein (at least in the pics) in glass carboys - has anyone done this in a plastic beer pail? (6.5-7 gallon)? Would I need a blow-off tube or would the airlock work given the extra space in the pail compared to a smaller glass carboy?

I believe he uses Better Bottles, but a plastic bucket would work too. Standard air lock will be fine.

Thanks dude - and no problem for it to be 4 weeks in that plastic primary?

(My first beer had some nasty oxidation - I'm getting very paranoid about plastic).

cd2448 said:
Thanks dude - and no problem for it to be 4 weeks in that plastic primary?

(My first beer had some nasty oxidation - I'm getting very paranoid about plastic).
When my glass carboys were all occupied, I made a batch of Apfelwein in an old plastic Arrowhead water bottle. It spent six weeks in there before kegging, and it turned out spectacular. Now I wouldn't suggest you do the same, but if an old plastic bottle worked out OK, you should be just fine in an ale pail.

cd2448 said:
I notice that EdWort makes his Apfelwein (at least in the pics) in glass carboys - has anyone done this in a plastic beer pail? (6.5-7 gallon)? Would I need a blow-off tube or would the airlock work given the extra space in the pail compared to a smaller glass carboy?

There's no way the amount of foam produced using Ed's recipe could even get close to the airlock in a 6.5 gal bucket. But this is assuming you use Montrachet or a similar wine yeast. Others have recommended weihenstephaner or other wheat beer yeasts, and those will produce a big krausen, so you should afix a blowoff tube if you use them.

All my Apfelwein spends it's first month in a 6.5 gallon bucket, then a second month in glass. The montrachet produces almost no krausen, and I haven't had any off flavors yet.

Back