Apfelwein has been at 1.008 for two week: slow, stuck or done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TVarmy

Reaction score
The SG of my apfelwein has been 1.008 for about two weeks. I made it with two pounds light brown sugar, so I know part of the sugar is molasses, and hence unfermentable. Is it more likely that it has a stuck fermentation, or that it is done? It's been five weeks since I started.

I used Pasteur Champagne yeast, but I have some Montrachet yeast packets coming in the mail, so I could repitch it if needed. I used yeast nutrient per the directions on the package (1 tsp per gallon). The flavor of the hydrometer samples is dry and wine-y, with a bit of alcohol warmth. I'm sure the apple flavor comes back a few months later. There was a sulfury component a few weeks ago, but that's gone now.

There is no airlock activity, and I only see a few tiny bubbles climbing up the side of the bottle with my flashlight, much less than what could be seen durring the active fermentation.

I know it's safe to let it sit for months in the carboy, but I'd like to bottle soon, if only to free up the carboy. Should I repitch, wait :)(), or just bottle?

I saw your post in the sticky, but figured I would reply here, so it didn't get lost.

First, I know nothing :D so take that as a warning...

You are right in that there will be some unfermentable sugars, so you may not finish as dry as the traditional Apelwein. Also I am not sure that the yeast doesn't play a part here as well.

Some thoughts - what type of temperature is it sitting at? It may be that it has cooled to a point where it can't finish. It may be that you need to play with the calibration of the hydrometer. (Not suggesting that you don't know this already)

- You could bottle with less priming sugar (if you had intended to carb) you might not get the end carb level you were looking for, but you will at least avoid bottle bombs. If you were going to bottle still it may end up with a little more bubble than you wanted.

- General concenses is that it is done when the little bubbles stop. Also when the hydrometer sticks at a reading. The little bubbles may be CO2 continuing out of suspension.

How long ago did you start it? How clear is it?

The SG of my apfelwein has been 1.008 for about two weeks. I made it with two pounds light brown sugar, so I know part of the sugar is molasses, and hence unfermentable. Is it more likely that it has a stuck fermentation, or that it is done? It's been five weeks since I started.

I used Pasteur Champagne yeast, but I have some Montrachet yeast packets coming in the mail, so I could repitch it if needed. I used yeast nutrient per the directions on the package (1 tsp per gallon). The flavor of the hydrometer samples is dry and wine-y, with a bit of alcohol warmth. I'm sure the apple flavor comes back a few months later. There was a sulfury component a few weeks ago, but that's gone now.

There is no airlock activity, and I only see a few tiny bubbles climbing up the side of the bottle with my flashlight, much less than what could be seen durring the active fermentation.

I know it's safe to let it sit for months in the carboy, but I'd like to bottle soon, if only to free up the carboy. Should I repitch, wait :)(), or just bottle?

sad face i would wait AW benefits greatly with aging i dont touch mine for 3 months at least from pitching. the FG should continue to come down slowly next few weeks

Back