Apfelwein from 2014 any good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

frankjones

Reaction score
Is this going to be ok to drink.it was packaged in Brown beer bottles. Is 2 years too long for thisthis packaging?

Reaction score
I recently had some that I had bottled three years ago. Still good to drink! Assuming you didn't oxidize yours, it should be good too.

I don't think 2 years is too long for this, but it's getting there. Depending on the handling it receives, it *might* do 3-4 years but that would be really pushing it.

Mine was noticeably mellower and more complex (bottled under cork), but it was borderline.

Hankhill11

Reaction score
Is this going to be ok to drink.it was packaged in Brown beer bottles. Is 2 years too long for thisthis packaging?
Frankjones how did this turn out? I bet a lot of people are curious if they've made Apfelwein.

Terek

"Did I just drop down a rabbit hole?"
Reaction score
i just opened a barley wine that has been b ottled for 6 years. Beer/cider does not go bad in bottles. Especially an apfelwine. It will only get better. let it sit a few more years.

Reaction score
i just opened a barley wine that has been b ottled for 6 years. Beer/cider does not go bad in bottles. Especially an apfelwine. It will only get better. let it sit a few more years.
I had a 26 year old bottle of Sam Smith's Old Ale shared with me once. It was like sex in a bottle.

That said, not everything gets better with age. Old standard beer is just old beer and is best served when it's semi-fresh.

Wines GENERALLY age well but a white whine normally does not age as long/well as a red wine for instance. I would not expect Apfelwein to improve much past a couple years, and rather it will likely degrade after that. The "bigger" the wine, the more likely it is to age well.

OP
frankjones

frankjones

Reaction score
Guys and gals.... It went down the gullet ... It was awesome. Very smooth.. Definitely tasted it's best... I usually get into them in a few months, this 12 pack of brow beer bottles was found in the back of a closet...

Now. I just need to wait 2 more years for more that tastes this good. It was so good, very smooth..

I don't know the abv but it's the standard.ed.worts recipe with montacharet red star.

OP
frankjones

frankjones

Reaction score
Yeah wish I had more.... Just bought ten gallons of musselmans hard cider and a few bags of sugar...

Latest posts