Apfelwein Fermentation Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HossTheGreat

Reaction score
Ok, please please forgive me for posting this in another section of the forum. I originally posted this in the Cider forum, but realized that doesn't get nearly as much traffic as this one, so hopefully someone here could give me some insight. If cross posting is a big no no, feel free to delete mods. Here's my original post.

"I know EdWort's Recipe says that I can ferment at room temp. Well, I have a fermentation fridge set at about 68 that I have been fermenting for about a week. My next brew is going to be a Kolsch which obviously needs to ferment at lower temps. I assume I shouldn't leave my Apflewein in the fermentation fridge at these low temps, so I'm probably going to take it out and put it in a closet. Now the room temp is about 78 degrees, and I really don't want to mess around with putting it in a swamp cooler. Do you all think 78 is to warm to keep the apfelwein at? If it's ok, should I gradually raise the temp of my fermentation fridge up to the upper 70's to help with the transition?"

I was at 78 degrees, but i was past the first week of fermentation ( i was in the swamp cooler for first week). If you can keep it at the 68 for the first week then go with your transition plan.

That won't be a problem. It hit the 1 week mark last Sat. Thanks for the input.

yes, the mantrachet (sp) is very forgiving. I have read that it will ferment just fine up to 95F.
I recently did my first batch and it sat in the garage, fluctuating between 50 and 85 with no problems.

Ive got a couple batches going myself.. Without the cooler, they run at ~74, with it I am down ~66. I ran the cooler for the first week then took it off. Cannot tell you how it is, since they are still going.

The ideal fermentation temp on Montrachet is 59-86 F (15-30 C).

I would think that temp is well within range.

I let mine go for 10 weeks at ~76°.

When I bottled I primed half, and left the other half alone. It is conditioning in my cobalt blue 1 Liter swingtops now, I didn't even sample it!

I plan to take some of this to Boston for Christmas and allow the family to give me input. I hope it is good!:D

Awsome...then I won't worry about it too much. Thanks for the info everyone.

Back