Apfelwein fermentation temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnitzengiggle

Reaction score
I started a batch of Apfelwein on Easter Sunday, and I was wondering what the best temp is for fermenting it, Edwort says to leave it at "room temperature" well my room temperature is now at 78 with the A/C on. Is this too hot?

Thats not too hot but it will be a bit strange, I did a batch that high last year and it ended up, musty tasting, I guess thats how I explain it, musty.

Anything over 72 and you'll have the rhino farts going quite strongly. I suggest keeping it between 65-68 if at all possible to make a clean tasting brew.

I've been at 68* for 5 week, the temperature has been climbing this past week and I'm sitting at 72* now, she's still streaming bubbles, perhaps a bit more at the higher temperature. I can't wait till she's done......

if you can, set up a swamp cooler. Take the carboy and put it in a bucket of water. Then put a tshirt over the carboy and in the water. The evaporation will cool the fermenter a bit.

I have mine in my basement, temp ranges from 50-70 during the year.

B

I run the bulk of my fermentation at 65º. Then as the activity slows a bit I ramp a degree a day until I am at about 75º to finish up and help it off gas. Then, once it is settled down and no longer churning, I crash cool at 33º for a week or so before transferring to keg.

I have mine in my basement, temp ranges from 50-70 during the year.

B

Me too, and I've been worried about the colder temps. I started fermenting for 48 hrs at 72 and brought it to the basement where it has been around 56-62 for the past 3 weeks.
To give people both ends of the spectrum in this thread, will the colder temps give me problems in the longrun? I'm still getting a bubble in the airlock every 5 - 10 seconds.

Back