Apfelwein as a base for sangria?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papinquack

Reaction score
I've been thinking about using my apfelwein as a base for sangria. Have any of you tried this before? If you have post the recipe you've tried. I'm not sure if you would stick with fresh apples? What other fruit do you think would complement the apfelwein?

This is a great idea. I'm definitely going to have to do this. I really like the white (peach and pear) sangria's, so this might just be perfect.

I prefer a semi-sweet white wine as my base for sangria, but I can very well see apfelwein working for a nice sangria.

Here's my recipe:
1 bottle Liebfraumilch or Riesling
1 lemon
1 lime
1 orange

Slice the fruit thin and layer in a pitcher, then pour the wine in.

On top of that I usually add either some brandy or flavored vodka depending on my mood or pairing with food. I usually mix this with about 2 parts sangria with 1 part sprite or 7-up to make a spritzer of sorts.

I use to drink this all the time while living in the US, but not as often since moving to Japan.

Back