Apfelwein (Apfelhooch) ABV estimate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomorrowsdreams

Reaction score
Hi all, serious brewers!
Im very new to home brewing, I basically started making home cider to free myself from cans of PBR, drink heavy for cheap, and to bring large amounts of my experiments to parties. After my first gallon of treetop-brown sugar cider I fell in love, started studying the trade, and have made about 15 gallons of crazy fruit-wines so far.

Current project: 5g Edworts famous Apfelwein (plus concentrate)
4.5 gallons TreeTop AJ
5 12 oz cans Old Orchard Apple-Cherry concentrate (12 oz makes 1 qt juice w/ 26 grams sugars/serving)
2 pounds dextrose (30 oz T.B.S.)

Some guy at http://www.beerik.com/kirkland-treetop.html says TreeTop's specific gravity is 1.051.

This batch has been bubbling steadily since 8/30/14, just now slowing down to an airlock bubble every 20 seconds.

I use a plain-ass water jug that you see in offices to ferment, BPA free. Only drawback I've noticed so far is the possibility of airlock backflow when moving the big boy around (cause the sides can squeeze and create suction when let go)

I DO use star-san, I'm as anal about sanitation as everyone says is necessary.

If someone here has a method and the time to predict an ABV, that'd be amazing. This is the first time I've bothered to keep track. I don't want to spend the money for a hydrometer.
Any advice would be appreciated and considered in my future efforts.
Happy hoochin'!

If someone here has a method and the time to predict an ABV, that'd be amazing. This is the first time I've bothered to keep track. I don't want to spend the money for a hydrometer.

3 weeks is too long for a batch of cider to be unfinished. Use DAP and it will finish in a week.

[mod edit - just be nice :) ]

If it's still sweet by the time it finishes then it's somewhere near the max alcohol tolerance of your yeast. Maybe

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back