Apfekwein, cant get montrachet, any Lalvin wine yeasts close?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Vorsicht709

Reaction score
Okay I wanted to emulate EdWorts recipe as close as possible however I cannot get any montrachet wine yeast. The only brand my LHBS carries is Lalvin: Bourgovin, ICV D-47, 71B-1122, K1V-1116, and EC-1118 any idea which of these would be closest to what is called for in EdWort's recipe??

Fish

Reaction score
I have used the EC 1118 and I really liked it but I don't know how it compares with the Montrachet.

jiffybrew

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried using ale yeast? What happens?

2pugbrews

Reaction score
Vorsicht709 said:
Okay I wanted to emulate EdWorts recipe as close as possible however I cannot get any montrachet wine yeast. The only brand my LHBS carries is Lalvin: Bourgovin, ICV D-47, 71B-1122, K1V-1116, and EC-1118 any idea which of these would be closest to what is called for in EdWort's recipe??
I was getting ready to make a batch and sampled a few of the over 2000 posts and jotted down the yeasts I saw used. Of course Moncharet was on the list plus Cote de Blanc and Lalvin D47. My LBHS only carried Lalvin so I took D47 and pitched that. Later I read more and saw Lalvin 1118 more often.
Mine is at 4 1/2 weeks but still going at 8 per minute so took a SG reading - 1.006. It had a sweet mild taste - very faint apple. At our local brew club last night a couple mead makers said D47 should finish with a sweet taste.
I wonder if mine is fermented out and could be bottled even though it's still bubbling. It's really clear - can see the yeast cake on the bottom from 5 ft away

skinfiddler

Reaction score
I used the Cotes de Blanc and EC-1118 the latter being favored.

A liquid yeast was mentioned somewhere along the way- Rudesheimer (sp?)- that I would like to try.

beala

Reaction score
jiffybrew said:
Has anyone ever tried using ale yeast? What happens?
I tried using a hefe yeast (wyeast 3068). It fermented out to around 0.998, which is actually lower than my montrachet apfelwein (4th week in primary, and at ~1.002). It tastes about the same as montrachet, with maybe a hint of a yeasty flavor. One caveat is that I used table sugar instead of dextrose (didn't want to, but I didn't really have a choice), so that may explain why it didn't come out as good as some people described. One poster said they got a 'sweet jolly rancher flavor' from a hefe yeast, but my guess would be that it was bottled too soon. If your apfelwein is sweet at bottling time, I'd be seriously worried about bottle bombs.

Tusch

Reaction score
2pugbrews said:
I wonder if mine is fermented out and could be bottled even though it's still bubbling. It's really clear - can see the yeast cake on the bottom from 5 ft away
Keep taking sg levels every couple days for a week or so. If it stays the same for a week or more, you are probably safe. There are several other possibilities for gas release in the carboy, so sg measurements are much more accurate than airlock activity.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I used Montrachet because Ed Wort used it in his recipe and he is the Apfelwein god! I guess it finishes extremey dry though, so I added a half pound of lactose...Some people used up to a poud of Lactose, but I know from my sweet stout recipe, how sweet a pound of lactose can be.

I think the ec1118 is an acceptable alternative...it's a champagne yeast and finishes dry.